Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day 17: It Begins

It's been two and a half weeks of reading, watching screencasts, experimenting, and finally coding, but here I am finally with my first completed iPhone project. It's ridiculously simple, doesn't do anything useful, and is of no use to anyone outside of myself and my kids. But I've gotta say that having that first application on my iPhone feels pretty good. I'm finally starting to understand how the architecture is structured, how to use the tools, and generally how to make stuff happen. And, really, isn't that what engineering is all about? Making stuff happen, in a nutshell, is why I went for engineering and not science back in the day.

I'm excited to show my sons the new application, "friends", which simply lists all their imaginary play friends, allows them to select them, see pictures, and hear random sound clips for each. The programming was fun, but I must admit that I also got a thrill out of taking the pictures and recording the sounds, imagining the reaction of Ethan and Noah. "friends" is a small step, but a step nonethless towards my company's mission: writing applications to entertain my kids.

Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment